Tragically, a local army veteran died in Crosby, Texas last week following the loss of power at his home. When the veteran, Carrol Anderson, lost electricity he was unable to use his oxygen machine. The 75-year-old is believed to have gone out to his truck to pick up spare bottles of oxygen. Tragically, the veteran was found dead in his truck on Tuesday. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those affected by his death.
With the loss of power, millions have struggled with deadly temperatures. Unfortunately, numerous deaths in the region have resulted from the loss of power. New reports have also come out regarding high numbers of carbon monoxide poisonings in the state. According to the Texas Department of State Health Services, there were 450 calls made to the Texas Poison Center Network regarding carbon monoxide. There were believed to be 300 cases in Harris County, including at least two deaths. Much of the reports are as a result of using alternative methods to generate heat while dealing with freezing temperatures due to the loss of power. Our thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted by this storm.
Texas has been hit with a historic winter storm over the past few days, but it was one that the state and its electric providers should have been prepared for. Millions of residents remain without power through no fault of their own. The number of households without power was over 4 million on Tuesday, February 16, 2021. The unfortunate reality is that the decision to plunge millions of homes into coldness has a side effect – people’s lives. As temperatures plunge to below freezing in some parts of the state, reports are that numerous people have died or been seriously injured as a result of the loss of power. There was a tragic house fire in Sugar Land as a result of the loss of power during the Winter Storm that hit Texas this week, killing four. There was a tragic incident on February 16, 2021 at 8300 La Roche in southwest Houston, Texas, where two people died following carbon monoxide poisoning. Tragically, on February 17, 2021 a 60 year old male froze to death in his home in Abilene, Texas. New reports have also come out regarding high numbers of carbon monoxide poisonings in the state.
Ultimately, the Electric Reliability Council of Texas (“ERCOT”) was in charge of making preparations to insure the safety of all the residents of the state. It was entirely foreseeable that conditions during this storm would worsen and that the electric grid would need to prepare for the increased use of power throughout the state. Whether through incompetence or a decision to simply ignore the risk, the state was left unprepared.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted by this storm and the dangerous decisions that were made both leading up to it and during the storm. Safe electric providers must take adequate precautions to prepare for weather of any kind. Whether it is a hurricane, a heat wave, or a winter storm, the state’s power providers must anticipate the conditions and prepare to provide adequate capacity for their customer’s needs. When this does not occur, people can die as a result.
Spagnoletti Law Firm has attorneys licensed in Texas, Florida, and New York. We have handled numerous cases involving complex litigation in both federal and state court across the country. Our attorneys have the skills needed to aggressively represent the families of loved ones who have lost their lives or those who have been seriously injured as a result of the loss of electricity during this storm. Our lawyers also have experience in representing businesses who have experienced lost income or property damage, and will pursue those claims against all responsible parties.
The experienced attorneys at Spagnoletti Law Firm can help you understand your rights if you or a loved one was seriously injured or died as a result of the loss of power. Please call us to learn about your rights if you are one of the individuals who have suffered personal injury or death, economic loss, or damaged property as a result of the decisions made by private companies in cutting off electricity. We have already filed suit for individuals who have been injured as a result of the loss of electricity due to the negligence of a third party. Please contact us online or call 713-804-9306 or 877-678-5864 to learn more about your legal rights.